Builder Bob's Tips: Caring for Your Hardwood Flooring
Hardwood flooring, if not cared for properly, can easily become damaged. Completing routine maintenance and taking preventative measures can help minimize daily wear and tear. Here are few tips and tricks to keep your flooring looking like new:
- Avoid wet mopping or steam mopping as water can dull the finish and even damage the wood. Instead, clean with a wood flooring cleaner and soft cloth.
- Sweep or vacuum your flooring weekly to avoid dust and dirt build up. Dust and dirt build up can scratch the surface of the flooring. If vacuuming, be sure to use a soft head brush and wand attachment.
- Utilize a dehumidifier during the hot summer months and a humidifier during the cold winter months to prevent gapping and buckling in the flooring.
- Protect your flooring from direct sunlight. Direct sun rays can cause discoloration in the flooring.
- Put felt protectors under the legs of furniture to prevent surface scratches.
- Wipe up spills immediately.
- Make sure to keep animal nails trimmed to minimize finish scratches.